A unique school with spectacular classrooms
Woodleigh was one of the earliest schools in the Colony of Victoria, the oldest independent coeducational school in Victoria and the first on the Mornington Peninsula.
In planning and schematic design, Law Architects worked together with academics from Melbourne University and the School’s leaders as well as workshopping and meeting regularly with both the Woodleigh students and staff.
With the school commitment to the natural environment, great emphasis was given to energy efficient and sustainable design, including orientation, material choice, cross-ventilation, solar & water catchment and consideration for the limited impact on the surrounding natural environment.
Three magnificent architecturally designed homesteads create a homely learning environment for students, full of air and light.
The homesteads are supported by 200mm x 200mm triple laminated columns and 240mm x 63mm glulam cross members which form the V-shaped roof. Natural light fills the homesteads highlighting the beauty of rammed earth walls and open fireplaces.
Vicbeam worked with Lloyd Group and Law Architects who demanded precision-made timber beams and columns to ensure perfect integration achieving a stunning finished look. All the bolt holes were countersunk to 25mm depth and the angles carefully cut.
We love the look and feel that has been created by the combination of architect, builder and Vicbeam supplied GL21 Spotted Gum Glulam.
The environment created for the students feels warm, light and full of natural beauty, providing a specialised learning environment for future generations.
A4LE (Formally CEFPI) Educational Facilities Awards 2016
- Winner | New Construction / Major Facility Categor
- Commendation | Education Initiative: A design solution for an innovative program Category
- Commendation | Educational Landscape / Outdoor Learning Area Category
Australian Institute of Architects Awards 2016
- Shortlisted | Educational Architecture Category (award yet to be announced)
Architizer A+ Awards 2016
- Winner People’s Choice Award | Plus Categories | Concepts: Architecture +Learning
- Special Mention | Typology Categories | Institutional: Primary & High Schools
- Special Mention | Plus Categories | Concepts: Architecture + Landscape
Good Design Awards 2016
- Winner | Selection Award | Architectural Design: Residential and Commercial Category
Interior Design Awards 2016
- Commendation | Public Design Category